KVILDA A OKOLÍ : ENGLISH INFO

English Info

Altitude:  1065 above sea level

Origins:  first mentioned in 1565

Number of inhabitants:  172

Administrative area in hectares:  4517 ha

The village of  Kvilda is one of the highest situated villages in the Czech Republic being 1065 metres above sea level.

First settlers came to this area in the 14th century lured by the vision of gold. Gold was panned usually from the Kvilda and Jezerní streams. Nowadays, the former gold panning areas have become archaeological sites. Another reason why people came to this area was the development of the so-called Upper Golden Route leading from Passau to Kašperské Hory via Kvilda. The Czech Emperor Charles IV had this route marked in 1356 and already in 1366 the route was being used for transporting salt from Bavaria and exporting beer, malt, hops etc. The first written record about the village of Kvilda goes back to 1569 when Kvilda is cited as one of the villages belonging to the Zdíkov Estate. Due to the growing number of inhabitants, and in particular thanks to its economic potentials Kvilda has become one of the most important villages in Central Šumava. Apart from wood manufacturing plants, hammer mills, glass making factories and a paper mill in Františkovo, there was a great number of craftsmen trading their products. In 1945 there were 1 120 inhabitants in 180 houses. The post-war development of Kvilda was affected not only by the removal of German inhabitants and resettlement by small numbers of incongruous settlers, but in particular by the establishment of a border area which was very strictly monitored along the western border. In 1950 there were only 238 people living in 144 houses. 

Nowadays, the number of inhabitants oscillates around the number 170. The cadastral area of Kvilda covers 4 517 ha 5 719 m2 and includes the vanished village of Bučina; Kvilda covers 3 131 ha 7 712 m2 and Bučina  covers 1 385 ha 8007 m2.

Kvilda has become an important centre for tourism in Central Šumava being able to accommodate about 750 tourists in 19 establishments. There is a Municipal Office, a post office, a food store, a bakery which has proved very popular with tourists, a sports shop, a chemist’s, and a ski and bike rental shop in Kvilda. The Kvilda Information Centre and NP Šumava Information Centre provide information to tourists. The development of the village, ethnographical exhibits and period photographs can be found in the permanent exhibition on the history of Kvilda and Bučina at the Municipal Office. The entire cadastral area of the village is situated in the Šumava National Park. When in Kvilda, people enjoy visiting the Jezerní Peat Bogs, the source of the Vltava River situated 6 km away from the village and the area of Bučina which offers unforgettable views of the Šumava region. The well preserved local environment ensures a further development of tourism. 

Source: J.Vávrová : Kapitoly z minulosti Kvildy (Chapters from the history of Kvilda). 2005