Partner municipality Mauth-Finsterau

The settlement of Finsterau was founded in 1704 as the northernmost settlement on the Kašperské Hory branch of the Golden Trail. The original name of the place was Halbwald, because the settlement was located halfway between Kreuzberg and Kašperské Hory.

Between 1910 and 1912, the neo-Romanesque parish church of Mater Dolorosa was built in Finsterau. At an altitude of 1030 meters, it is the highest-located parish church in the Diocese of Passau.

A very attractive tourist destination is the Museum of Folk Architecture of the Bavarian Forest – an open-air museum.

In 1978, the formerly independent municipalities of Mauth and Finsterau were merged into the municipality of Mauth. About 2,300 people live in Mauth. A touristically attractive route over Bučina connects Mauth with Kvilda.

More information: Website of the municipality of Mauth